Search Archives Record
Metadata
Catalog Number/Object ID |
1961-003-05037 |
Object Name |
Album |
Title |
Black Notebook #37 |
Scope & Content/Description |
Black Notebook #37, MARBLEHEAD GREAT NECK...OTHER NECK WRITINGS...WHARF WRITINGS...STORIES AND WEATHER REPORTS...#17... Page 1: HEADA FOREVA, written by Deborah Caulkins, her memories of "Usher's Beach" with a picture of Chandler Hovey Park. Page 3: MARBLEHEAD LIGHTHOUSE details of a movement to move the Marblehead lighthouse to Marblehead Rock, the article written on June 9, 1916, author unknown. Pages 5-65: MARBLEHEAD GREAT NECK, Essex Institute Historical Collections, Vol. LXX111, July 1937, written by Richard Whiting Searle, the history and development of the Marblehead and the Neck, originally called Marble Harbour and Marble Neck because of vast amounts of marble stone found here, names officially used until 1683. Pages 67-81: MARBLEHEAD NECK (From the Past to the Present), Sparhawk Encampment, July 14, 1873, Messenger, July 19, 1873, Marblehead Neck, Part 2, Sparhawk Encampment, July 21, 1873, by C.D.H., Messenger, July 26, 1873, Marblehead Neck, Part 3, Sparhawk Encampment, July 28, 1873, Messenger, August 2, 1873, a history of landowners on the Neck at that time. Pages 83-93: OLDEST HOMES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT ON MARBLEHEAD NECK, SAYS SEARLE, "The Development of Marblehead Neck Discussed Last Night at Lee Mansion," including topics of "Marble or Granite," "Which was the Neck?" and "Old Homes on the Neck," "Road Positions," and "Dividing the Land." Messenger, January 21, 1938. Pages 95-97: NECK HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF, "Occupied with Tents and Small Cottages as in Former Years." Messenger, September 2, 1927, a history of Marblehead as a resort area and other insights. Page 99: MARBLEHEAD NECK IS SUB-DIVIDED, 27 ASSIGNERS TAKE OVER, (Ninety-first in a series of articles from the "History and Traditions of Marblehead," by Samuel Roads, Jr., a history of early landowners on Marblehead Neck. Page 101: A FEW THOUGHTS, a letter to the editor, signed by "Destiny," Messenger, January 27, 1872, regarding selling of the Neck to "outside parties" and maintaining Marblehead's destiny as a summer resort. Pages 103-105: NECK ADVERTISED AS SUMMER RESORT EARLY IN 1835, including "Farm at Auction," Messenger, January 10, 1930, a history of when the (Jesse) Blanchard farm on Marblehead Neck, consisting of 130 acres, its ice house and fish fence was sold. Page 107: MARBLEHEAD NECK, a poem by Sarah K. Bolton expressing appreciation of the beauty of Marblehead. Messenger, September 21, 1888. Pages 109-117: NECK LANDS ONCE OWNED IN COMMON, "Proprietors Claims Not Subdivided Until 1724--Salt Works There 15 Years," including "Used as Pasture Land," "Summer Cottages Arrive," "The Nashua Camp," details of jointly-owned land on the Neck, how and to whom it was eventually subdivided, and how the land was used by farmers and fishermen. Messenger, July 24, 1931. Pages 119-125: LOYAL STATUS OF OLD NECK WAYS, "Written by the late Raymond H. Trefery," a history of Marblehead Neck from 1670 to 1918, once only assessible at low tide and a substantial road to which was not built until 1870. Page 127: RESORT FEATURES of MARBLEHEAD EXPLOITED as NECK and HARBOR PROPERTY DEVELOPED, Ninetieth in a series of articles from The History and Traditions of Marblehead by Samuel Roads, Jr., history of how Marblehead gradually developed into a popular summer resort. Page 129: EASTERN YACHT CLUB HAD ITS BEGINNING IN BOSTON, EASTERN YACHT CLUB BORN 1870, by Ruth Putnam, with photos of Marblehead Harbor, the Eastern was considered the leading sailing organization of Massachusetts Bay, how Marblehead became popular as an anchorage for yachtsmen and specific features of the town at that time. Page 131: CASTLE ROCK, SCENE OF MARBLEHEAD TRAGEDY, the story of how Alfred Nutile, of Woburn, lost his life as a result of a fall from Castle Rock. CHURN AT MARBLEHEAD NECK WAS A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT, a photo of a gale force off the coast of Marblehead. Pages 133-137: ESTATES of MARBLEHEAD NECK, several photos of various houses on the Neck. Page 139: SOMETHING ABOUT OUR ADJACENT PENINSULA, Messenger, January 23, 1885, how Cat Island got its name and other stories about Marblehead Neck related during a lecture at the Essex Institute by Charles A. Benjamin. Pages 141-143: THE LOWELL SETTLEMENT AT MARBLEHEAD NECK, Messenger, June 16, 1911, a story of how early summer residents on the Neck survived inclement weather in tents. Pages 145-149: MARBLEHEAD NECK, by James J.H. Gregory, Messenger January 17, 1908, how the building of a good road to the Neck was the beginning of the real estate boom on the Neck and steadily increasing prices. Page 151: MARBLEHEAD NECK WAS LARGELY UNDEVELOPED, an early photo showing roads and empty roadsides leading from the Neck to the causeway and the mainland, also a postcard photo of Snow's Variety Store, a seasonal shop which then housed the post office and a general store. Page 153: A MASS of MASTS--A SEA of SAILS COME 'ROUND the POINT' 3 CENTURIES, by Ruth M. Putnam, describing Race Week in Marblehead, describing Marblehead as "the yachting capital of America" and once the second largest port in "a struggling new country." Pages 155-157: FIREMEN GET STIFF BLAZE UNDER CONTROL IN TOWER AND VERANDA OF EASTERN YACHT CLUB, June 9, 1947, 66 years after the opening of the building on June 9, 1881, with photos of the fire. Page 159: Memory Lane with Harry Wilkinson, a 1905 photo of the NANEPASHEMET hotel on Marblehead Neck, consisting of 80 rooms, named for an Indial chief killed in battle in 1619, built in 1881 for Robert C. Bridge and renamed when purchased by Paul Brackett in 1914 to OCEAN MANOR. Pages 161-165: WRECKER TAKES LAST RESORT, photos of the demolition of the SAMOSET HOUSE on Marblehead Neck, razed to "make way for a storage area for sailboats," with a description of the history of the hotel on the Neck. Pages 167-169: THE NECK in the OLD DAYS AWASH at HIGH TIDE and EARLY NECK RESIDENTS ORGANIZED as NEIGHBORS, excerpts from and article, "Marblehead Great Neck," July 1937, Essex Institute Historical Collections, by Richard Whiting Searle, the origins of the naming of Marblehead and many details about the growth of the town. Page 171: Life at the Wharf: ON the DISTAFF SIDE, signed "Heada Forever," how State Street Wharf was improved and eventually called the Phillip Clark Landing, with a photo of the early construction. Page 173: Marblehead YACHT CAPITAL of the WORLD, by Edgar J. Driscoll Jr., from a series of Globe reporters to New England summer spots, describing summer events points of interest in Marblehead which led to it being known as the "yachting capital of the world." Page 175: HISTORIC SITES, SHORE ATTRACT THOUSANDS EVERY YEAR; FAVORITE IS OLD TOWN HALL, By Robert E. Glynn. Marblehead, named among the prettiest towns in the United States in the New York Times Magazine, this article details events in Marblehead's history, yearly summer events, as well as points of interest in town. Page 177: Photo of the Boston Yacht Club, built in 1902, as it stood on Front Street at the foot of State Street before the town took over the property in1957 and razed the wooden structures there; a photo of the "Firenze," a yacht from Washington, D.C., during Race Week of 1941; a photo of "Winthrop Hustlers" during Race Week; a photo of the "Seven Seas" during Race Week in 1938. Page 179: Photo of the "DELTA" at the town landing; photo of a painting by Hamlin Tucker titled, "CAPTAIN TUCKER'S LANDING." Pages 181-183: FIRM'S HISTORY BRIEF with photos of the "Blonde," the history of a wooden boat which served as a ferry service from 1880 to 1972 to the Neck, Gloucester and Salem Willows as well as transporting kids to Children's Island. Page 185: Photos of FERRY BOATS, the "Philip B. Tucker," a gasoline engine ferry boat, and the "Queen," a coal-burning ferry used for trips to Salem Willows. Pages 187-193: RICHARD E. CASWELL, MARINER, RECALLS DAYS OF ROW-BOAT FERRY: Carrying Residents to Lowell and Nashua Camps Not All Fun--Sails Displaced, Oars Before Advent of Steam--At Eighty-Two, Still Sails the "Gypsy." Messenger, October 5, 1928, by Joseph S. Robinson, with photos of the original transportation building and dock and the "Queen," a ferry to the Neck, and Robinson's rememberances of life on the Neck. Page 195: MEMORY LANE with Harry Wilkinson, photos of two FERRY BOATS. Ferry boats which left Tucker's Wharf in Marblehead included: the Queen, the Delta, the Blonde and the Burnette. Page 197: Photo: BEFORE THE MOTOR CRAFT, one in three sailing vessels served as a ferry. Photo: THE FIRST COAL-BURNING FERRY, the BRUNNETTE. Pages 199-203: STORM of 1851, a Messenger article written by James J.H. Gregory, Dec. 31, 1909. GREATEST STORM SINCE 1898, Messenger, December 31, 1909. ANNIVERSARY of the GALE of 1869, Messenger, September 13, 1918. Page 203 is a partial Messenger article written on June 27, 1874, by "K." Also a short article detailing storms of 1851, 1869, 1871 and 1873. Page 205: HEADA FOREVA by Deborah Caulkins, memories of springtime in New England. Page 207: LINCOLN HAWKES and SAMUEL ROADS, JR., notes of wintery conditions in Marblehead, also notes from journals of NATHAN and EDWARD BOWEN, 1757-1808, noting that, at one point, ice in the harbor was eight inches thick. Page 209: NORTH SHORE IS HIGH RISK EARTHQUAKE AREA, by Irv Dierdorff, a history of earthquakes of 1744, 1755, 1757 and 1628, Marblehead and the North Shore being judged as having major and the highest risk alongside California. Page 211: MEMORY LANE with Harry Wilkinson, describing the destruction in Marblehead of the "no name" hurricane of 1938, the first to be recorded in the history of New England, with a photo of Fort Beach and the cruiser "Tofa" stranded on the rocks. Pages 213-215: Photos: TURBULENT SEAS POUND MARBLEHEAD WATERFRONT along Fort Beach causeway, also a tranquil scene of seagulls perched on a harbor rock. Pages 217-219: CAPTAIN JOHN SMITH's account of time spent on Marblehead Neck in 1614, inhabitated at that time by Naumkeag Indians and called Manataug, an article written by Alec MacDonald and including photos of the harbor and the Neck. Page 219: Poem: "At Point Neck." Page 221: WHEN BOSTON HARBOR FROZE OVER, by Edward Rowe Snow, describing winter temperatures where it was common for Marblehead Harbor to Boston Harbor, to freeze over. Pages 223-231: PHOTOS showing storm devastation caused by various storms hitting Marblehead from 1898 to 1961. Page 233: OLD WEATHER RECORDS, Messenger, July 21, 1911; "LATE SNOW," a poem, Messenger, April 28, 1916; WINTER OF 1882, Messenger January 27, 1882, all describing old-fashioned New England winters.0 Page 235: FRONT STREET, Front Beach, photo of ocean waves during a coastal storm. Page 237: BACK in 1786 WHEN NEW ENGLAND HAD THOSE GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED WINTERS, how the climate has changed since the 1700-1800s and stories of how harsh winters were weathered by New Englanders. Pages 239-241: STORM PICTURES showing Devereux Beach and Front Beach. Page 243: GILBERT HEIGHTS on Ocean Avenue, VIEWED FROM MARBLEHEAD HARBOR. Page 245: DEVEREAU BEACH, photos showing tidal flooding of the parking area and another showing how a section of the causeway wall has crumbled from heavy seas. Pages 247-249: THE GREAT STORM of 1898, a photo of devastation along the causeway leading to Marblehead Neck and two more recent photos of storm damage at Devereux Beach and across the causeway in more recent storms. Page 251: A CHALLENGE AHEAD, written by an unknown author who describes difficulties experienced by townspeople due to a changing population and changing of landowners on Marblehead Neck. Page 253: MEMORY LANE with Harry Wilkinson, a BATTERED CAUSEWAY AFTER the PORTLAND GALE of November 1898, an article about the storm and photos of the damage. Page 255: SHIP AMERICA PASSING THROUGH THE FISHING FLEET ON GRAND BANKS, a painting by Michele Felice Corne and a photo of sailing vessels. Page 257: Ill-Fated Bark TEDESCO which sunk in a storm off the coast of Galloupe's Point, Swampscott, on January 18, 1857, a photo and details of the incident by Fred Goddard. Page 259: THE WRECK OF THE BARQUE TEDESCO,as reviewed by Helen Jaques and written by Robert Means, details of the sinking of the Tedesco, as well as the origins of the name Tedesco, a ship out of Portland ME which was caught in a gale on January 18, 1857, and sunk off Galloupe's Point in Swampscott, the entire crew lost. Page 261: TEDESCO ANCHOR DEDICATION SET, article about the memorial anchor salvaged from the Tedesco, a ship which went down off Galloupe's Point in Swampscott in January 1857, the bronzed anchor being dedicated at Fishermen's Beach, Swampscott. Page 263: AS A BOY REMEMBERS, Messenger article, September 12, 1919, recalling the gale of September 8, 1869, the schooner William Franklin going down near Fort Sewall and other devastation caused by the storm. Also, a photo showing coastal conditions in Marblehead Harbor at Fort Beach, Front Street, shortly before Hurricane Esther in 1958. Page 265: 'HEADERS HOPE WEATHER OF 1898 WILL NOT COME AGAIN, a photo (bottom) of the harbor frozen over in 1898, and an article recalling the weather conditions and its effects on the town. Also, a Litchman photo (top) showing the Causeway with grounded ships after a storm. Page 267: 1968 COLD RECALLS OLD ICY DAYS, by Harry Wilkinson, recalling weather conditions in 1898, 1907 and 1912, when temperatures went below 14 degrees and the harbor was frozen solid, showing photos at that time and more recently in 1968. Page 269: MEMORY LANE with Harry Wilkinson, a photo showing the freighter Norseman from Liverpool, England, which ran aground on Marblehead Neck in 1899. Page 271: MARBLEHEAD'S MOST FAMOUS SHIPWRECk, the 292-foot steamer Norseman from Liverpool, England, in 1899, a photo and details of the wreck and the crew from Marblehead that saved the passengers. Page 273: HEADA FOREVA, by Deborah Caulkins, an account of the wreck of the Norseman, bound from Liverpool to Boston, running aground on Marblehead Neck on March 27, 1899. Also, an account of the event by Sadie Dennis, Grade IX at the Story School, written on April 13, 1899. Page 277: SWAMPSCOTT PLAQUE FOR BARQUE TEDESCO, a photo showing the salvaged anchor of the shipwrecked Tedesco placed in dedication of the tragedy on Fishermen's Beach. Also, a photo of the granite monument in Swampscott dedicated to the memory of the lost crew. Page 279: Photo showing the condition of the CAUSEWAY to Marblehead Neck after the storm of November 26-27, 1898, during which the steamship SS Portland, sailing from Boston to Portland ME was lost with all hands aboard. Page 281: a photo, dated February 1978, showing the Causeway and TOWERING WAVES CRASH-ing on Devereux Beach. Pages 283-285: YEAR WITHOUT A SUMMER 1816, Messenger, June 14, 1907, recalling frost and snowfall in several parts of New England that summer. Article: 1816 SUMMER WAS REAL COLD, detailing conditions brought on by the weather, including crop failure and food scarcity. Also, Messenger article of 1896, recalling the same, year without a summer, with snowfall occurring in June, July and August. Page 287: NEWSPAPER ITEMS RELATING TO ESSEX COUNTY, Boston Evening Post, April 1, 1765, and December 16, 1765, briefly recalling devastation by storms. Page 289: A SCRAP FROM THE PAST, a letter to the Messenger editor, recalling the weather on December 10, 1786, the event of a "great snow-storm." Page 291-293: WINTER of 1920, Messenger, February and March 1920, recalling "the worst snowstorm since 1898," and how it affected Marblehead. Also, a poem by Marcia M. Selman, Messenger, March 12, 1920, about the winter weather and a poem by Elizabeth Brackett, Messenger, February 27, 1920. Another article by Josh Jokem, Messenger, February 13, 1920, giving more details of the winter weather conditions. Page 295: TWENTY SIX YEARS AGO 1867-1868, Messenger, November 23, 1894: SOME DATES FROM MR. CLOUGH, Messenger, November 30, 1894; MARCH 3rd, 1837, Messenger, March 1881; and November 25, 1885, Messenger, November 27, 1885, all relating cold winters experienced in Marblehead. Page 297: COLD WEATHER of 1857, Messenger, January 27, 1882, recalling the "artic weather of '57." Page 299: MARCH 1823, Messenger, March 18, 1881; MARCH 1835, Messenger, March 1890, two articles about bitterly cold weather in Marblehead. Page 301: FIRST C.T.C. BUILDING -- RAZED IN 1897, by Harry Wilkinson, photos of the Corinthian and notes of its history. |
Subjects |
Fish drying Fishing Fish Flakes |
Creator |
Bowden Osborne |
Catalog date |
2025-10-14 |
People |
Caulkins, Deborah Hovey, Chandler Rodgers, Clem Graves, Russ Orne, Azor Gatchell, John Gatchell,Samuel |
Search Terms |
Marblehead Neck Marblehead Light Fish Flakes Marblehead Buildings Marblehead Causeway Eastern Ferryboat Delta Ferryboat Queen Ferryboat Brunette Barque Tedesco Freighter Norseman |
Lexicon category |
8: Communication Artifact |
Lexicon sub-category |
Documentary Artifact |
Collection |
Marblehead Town History |
Condition |
Good |
