|Collection||Marblehead Town History|
|Scope & Content||
3. PICTURES…Old ice house being torn down by Transportation Co…
Old Boston Yacht Club at State Street Wharf…State Street Wharf…
5. SHACKS MUST GO…Selectmen voted shacks and cottages at Fort Sewall must be removed by January 1, 1962…
7. PICTURES OF OLD BOSTON YACHT CLUB…bought by Marblehead for $38,000 in 1956…now being torn down…
9-11. CODNER'S COVE…by J.J.H. Gregory Dec20,1901'…A Plan of Codner's Cove…Messenger March 17, 1893…Where Was Glover Wharf…by James J.J.H. Gregory …Oct 16th, 1903…Gilbert's Wharf-Right of Way…Messenger March 20, 1896…
13-14. YACHT CLUB COMPROMISE…(twelve years of litigation, at a cost to the town of fifteen thousand dollars)…Anniversary of the storm of 1869 forty-six years ago…Harbor frozen over…(1918, coldest Jan-Feb. in 40 years) during the week of Jan,1918…Wharf Property...Charles T. Burns remover thirty-four horse loads of muscles left by the fishermen during the winter…
15-19. THE WHARF QUESTION…Origin of litigation…Messenger March 22, 1907…(note: second page missing)…Ref. to land right's between the Eastern Yacht Club, The Boston Yacht Club and to the town as to the use and ownership rights of the Wharves at State Street…article written by: J.R.K…April 3, 1903…Marbleheaders decided that the decision of the vote on October 21,1662 that 'It is agreed On by us the Commoners of the Towne at a publicke Towne Meetinge that the Cove lyinge between John Codners & John Northyes stage shall be for Common landing place for the use of the publicke good of the Town for ever. Whereunto we present have sett to or hands this 21st day of October 1662."…Messenger September 2, 1938…
21-45. AGAINST THE TOWN…Yacht Club's case regarding title of land around the Wharf…Judge Davis of the LAND COURT Renders Adverse Opinion, Full Text of the Decision Makes an Interesting History…C.T Davis, Associate Judge…Messenger…December 13, 1908…
46. AS A TOWN LAWYER SEES IT…signed "A Fisherman"…December 20, 1908…A fisherman's rebuttal to Judge Davis's decision…December 20, 1908…
47-48. AN EXPLANATION ABOUT CODNER'S COVE…Messenger May 9, 1902…A letter to the Messenger from N.A. Lindsey and Company re: inaccurate statements regarding the history of the Wharves of Marblehead at the foot of State Street, formerly known as the "Town Dock" and asking please to give a more accurate account…
49. THE LAND LAYS STILL…Apiece of land lays still for years and years until someone wants to claim title to it…Refers to land down at Fort Beach on the Little Harbor side…Picture of a typical lobsterman's Shanty…
51. THE TRADITIONAL OWNERS OF OUR HARBOR FRONT…by: James J.H. Gregory…Messenger Oct. 20, 1905…discussion of ownership of land from "Gale's Point", now known as Fort Sewall, to the foot of Darling Street.
Along the waterfront area…
53-59. TESTAMONIAL of MARBLEHEADER'S…Marblehead verses Boston and Eastern Yacht Clubs for Registration of Wharf Property…Messenger February 27, 1903…
61-62. WHO OWNS THE PROPERTY?...Refers to a piece of land near Fort Sewall which there is reasonable cause to believe has rightfully belonged to the town since 1816…Messenger July 8, 1892…
63. PICTURE OF FISHERMAN FISHING FROM A DORY…
64. THEY GATHERED THE HARVEST OF THE SEA…author unknown…tells the life of a fisherman….
65-69. THEY THAT GO DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS…IN SEARCH OF THE SACRED COD…by Roger Tuveson, a teacher and coach in the Marblehead school system for fifteen years… a sports fisherman who readily admits a deep love for the sea and the history and traditions of Marblehead…Messenger week of June 6, 1979…
71. PICTURES…a Salt Barrow…before the days of artificial refrigeration the fisherman at sea preserved their catch by salting down their fish as soon as they were caught…when brought ashore the salt was washed off and the fillets were spread out to dry on low, wooden, stagings known as "fishflakes"…occasionally re-salting was necessary and these wheelbarrows were devised to carry to transport the salt…
A Picture of Appleton's Wharf 1850…
73. MORE PICTURES…OF A : a lobster shanty…Fish Flakes…and an early Marblehead Sailing Dory…
75. PICTURE OF' PUBLIC LANDING AT COMMERCIAL STREET'…located at the foot of Commercial Street…another picture of' SHIPPING IN PORT'…at Commercial Street Wharf …Deep draft vessels brought lime ,coal and sand to the wharves of John S. Martin coal company
77. POEM…from New York Clipper…REPRINTED IN THE Marblehead Messenger October 30th, 1875…also a picture of Marblehead Harbor…
79VIEW OF THE TOWN WITH FISH FLAKES…Little Harbor curing fish…Fishing shanty at Fort Beach…Appleton's Wharf…
81. SURVIVORS OF THE PROSPEROUS FISHING DAYS…buildings at the Wharf…a fisherman's shanty…
83. CURING OF FISH WAS ONCE PRINCIPAL INDUSTRY IN MARBLEHEAD…
85. TOWN FISHERMEN WILL BE HONORED…to the memory of the fisherman lost in The Gale of September 19, 1846 there was a rededication of THE FISHERMAN'S MONUMENT at The Old Burial Hill… October 25, 1975…
87-89. MONUMENT RECALLS MARBLEHEAD'S WORST DISASTER…article from the Daily Evening Item, October 25, 1975 by Bill Pike…
91. THE SEA IS A BLUE-GREEN THREAD RUNNING THRU ALL 'HEAD' HISTORY…by M. Ruth Putnam…the sea is a blue-green thread which connects the past with the present...
93-95. MARBLE HARBOR KNOWN ONCE AS 'FISHING STAGE'…by M. Ruth Putnam…The projection of the rocky peninsula that became Marblehead was termed a "fishing stage" of the Pilgrims of Plymouth before the arrival of the Puritan's of Winthrop's company, according to early records…WRESTING A LIVING FROM THE SEA WAS NOT EASY…
97. OLD MARBLEHEAD IN VERSE…The Call of the Sea…by W.D. Weed…
99. AN UNUSUAL KIND OF FISH…caught by William H. Frost…a cod fish in which were found both pea and spawn and the milt…Messenger 21, 1894… Augustus Roundy caught a bright blue lobster without mottle of red or black which he kept in a pail of sea water…Joshua Withum caught a Sea Horse not commonly found in these waters…1933…
101. MORE MARBLEHEAD PICTURES…The Fish Flakes on Front Street…Oldtime Marblehead Warehouse at Fort Beach…Marblehead lobster Shack…
103. A PICTURE OF A LOBSTER SHANTY AT FORT BEACH…1909 The fishing Ship 'Gracie' ran aground off of Block Island…
|Title||Black Notebook #8|
Alley, Mary A.
Barnard, John, Rev.
Blackler, Samuel, Jr.
Bowden, Joseph C.
Bridgeo, William G.
Brown, Samuel H.
Burns, Charles T.
Caswell, Thomas P. Jr
Cheney, Benjamin P.
Conley, Frank E.
Davis, C. T., Judge
Devereux, Elizabeth Gerry
Dixey, Benjamin B.
Dixey, Edward H., Jr.
Dixey, Edward, Jr
Donaldson, Fredrock, Jr.
Driver, George Hibbert
Driver, William, Capt.
Forster, Israel, Major
Frost William H.
Garney, Benjamin, Jr
Gerry, Elbridge, Esq.
Gerry, Samuel R.
Gilbert, John G.
Giles, John H. L., Capt.
Giles, John L.
Giles, Mark Haskell
Goelet, Francis, Capt.
Goldsmith, William M, Mrs.
Goldthwait, William J.
Grant, Thomas, Capt.
Graves, James C.
Gregory, James J. H.
Hamson, John C.
Hiller, Richard C.
Holmes, Edward, Capt.
Hooper, William L.
Humphrey, Amos, II
Kirk, John, Capt.
Lee, William R., Col.
Lee, William R.
Lindsey, Benjamin J.
Lindsey, N. A.
Martin, John S.
Mason, Isaac W.
Messervey, Ambrose, Capt.
Newhall (the cooper)
Nick, William, R.
O'Brien, Theodore P.
Paine, T. T.
Pedrick, Elisha D.
Phillips W. W.
Pierce, William, Capt
Pitman Henry F.
Roads, John M.
Robinson, Andrew, Capt.
Sinclair, Archibald, Jr.
Smith, John, Capt.
Snow, C. H.
Sparhawk, Henry C.
Stacey, Osmond C.
Tucker, Philip B.
White, John, Jr.
Wilkins, Henry F. P.
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Lexicon sub-category||Documentary Artifact|