|Catalog Number/Object ID||2009-100-1No3.15|
|Object Name||Folders (containers)|
|Scope & Content/Description||
This folder contains letters and copies of letters from and to the Boston & Maine R. R. and the business comunity in Marblehead as it passed through the Selectmen's office in the year 1933 when the Railriad closed the freight office in the town due to lack of business.
1. copy of letter dated April 26, 1933 from B&M RR to the freight patrons in Marblehead on closing the freight office on Monday, June 12, 1933
2. A copy of a letter sent from the Marblehead Selectmen to the B&M RR dated May 4, 1933 quoting the Chamber of Commerce protest to the closing filed with the Selectmen of Marblehead
3. A letter from the B&M RR to Malcom L. Bell, Chairmen of the Slectmen explaining that the cost of handeling the freight was less than the income from it. Dated May 8, 1933.
4. Another letter to Malcom L. Bell dated July 13, 1933 noting that there had been no increase in the freight signed by J. W. Smith V.P. & General Manager B&M RR.
5. A letter from the B&M RR to Malcom L. Bell, Chairmen of the Slectmen explaining that "there has been a continued decline in our L. C.L. at. Marblehead."
6. A copy of a letter from the Selectmen to Mr. J. W. Smith , B&M RR noting that they have notified the C. of C. 7 Sept. 1933
7. A copy of a letter to the C. of C. with a copy of the letter from B&M RR "for such action you desire to take in the matter."
8. A letter from the C. of C. to the selectmen dated Sept. 11, 1933 explaining the situation of the town's merchants.
9. A copy of a letter to B&M RR with a copy of the letter from the C. of C. dated Sept. 14, 1933
|Title||Boston & Maine R.R. Freight House Closing 1933|
|Year Range from||1933|
|Year Range to||1933|
Adams, John T.
Barrett, W. E.
Bell, Malcolm L.
Brackett, G. Paul
Canniffe, James E.
Cole, Richard T.
Damon, Chester C.
Doane, Ernest S.
Farrell, Edward W.
Haley, Edward T.
Hamson, Robert B.
Martin, W. Gerry
McNulty, Thomas A.
Osborne, F. Norris
Parker, Frances A.
Peach, Gordon E.
Regan, John D.
Smith J. W.
Steele, Jonathan E.
Old Town records
|Lexicon category||10: Unclassifiable Artifacts|
|Lexicon sub-category||Need to Classify|